The Advantages of Home Care For the Elderly
Many seniors have trouble getting around their homes safely, leaving families with some tough decisions. Whether or not an elderly family member should move into an assisted living facility is often one of the key questions. However, home care is a viable option with many great benefits.
1. Homecare allows seniors to retain a sense of independence and freedom as they age. They can leave their home to go wherever they please whenever suits them best. Similarly, they can eat when they are hungry as opposed to when meals are served to them. Maintaining this sense of dignity is important, as it is something many seniors fear losing.
2. When the elderly live at home they are able to keep their physical possessions close at hand. The things they love do not have to be placed in storage as a result of moving into a smaller space. Many of these objects are tied to priceless memories, so it is understandable that a senior wouldn’t want to part with them. Additionally, most retirement homes do not allow pets. At home, seniors can keep any pets they’ve grown attached to, which has been scientifically proven to reduce stress.
3. Those who live at home often have an easier time staying connected with friends and family. There aren’t any visiting hours at home and the number of visitors allowed at any one time is not limited.
4. Living at home should help seniors stay healthier, as they won’t be subjected to the all the germs that inevitably linger at a place where many people live. Those who are sick can simply be asked not visit until they are feeling better.
5. Home care allows the elderly to avoid the emotional stress of moving to a new place with new people and a new routine. Maintaining continuity leads to psychological wellbeing.
6. Assisted living facilities are costly and the location may be inconvenient, making it difficult for family members to visit. Many seniors have already paid off their mortgage, so moving to a retirement home is an added expense. With few exceptions, home care is a more fiscally responsible choice.
7. Finally, most seniors who live at home are far happier than they would be if they moved into an assisted living facility. The comforts of home are truly invaluable.
There are now many products and services that make living at home both feasible and affordable. Enhanced security systems, emergency panic buttons, and home delivered meals are just a few of the options to choose from. If your elderly family member wants to live at home, honoring that wish is now easier than ever before.
Written by: Susan R Love